26 October 2011

Nail design :)

I've been really in to painting my nails over the past year or so.... it's gotten to the point where I can't have my nails bare otherwise it just feels and looks weird to me....  :D


Thought I'd try doing a little polka dot design, and it's worked out well I think! 


- I used No7 Stay Perfect in 'Totally Teal 330'
for the main colour. The stay perfect range I usually find really annoying as they take ages to dry.... but if you put a thin enough coat on (not so thin so you can see through it...) then it dries pretty fast! It's a really dark teal colour, and I'm really in to dark burgundy, purple and navy's at the moment so I think this fits in quite well.


- To lighten the mood a bit I decided to go for some polka dots. I think it makes it look really fun and girly, but also like you've made an effort with your nails. Just something a bit different! I used Rimmel Lasting Finish in '045 Misty Jade' which is a pale mint colour which compliments the darkness of the Teal polish!


- The polka dots were relatively easy to do, you just have to have a steady hand..... you just get a small amount on the brush, and blob it on to the nail, being careful not to 'blob' too harshly or you'll get a flatter shape than a 'dot' (as you might be able to see on my pinky finger....)


- To finish off I used Barry M top-coat (basecoat, topcoat and nail hardener in one, great stuff!!) I used a top coat, not only because I usually use one to set my nail polish, but also because the polka dots are sort of raised from the nail, as they are 'blobs' of colour, so I wanted to make sure that they weren't going to chip off easily or anything! Plus it felt a bit rough to touch! 


Thanks for reading and hope you liked this little review/tutorial type thing! 
Lucy xx

2 comments: