2 August 2011

Foundation Review


I judge foundations by a couple of things.....

- staying power
- coverage
-hydration
-colour match


These are the main things I go for in a foundation as I am combination skin, prone to acne. I need the full coverage for this, but also have to be careful about clogging pores. I did a review a while back on Rimmel 25 hour foundation. I loved this foundation at the time, but now it's getting warmer, I'm finding that it gets far too greasy throughout the day. 



Products I've been using recently:


                                                  Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in CAMEO.


As long as I prep my skin the night and morning before using this foundation, then it is a great one for acne/oily skin which I've been experiencing recently. By prepping I mean exfoliate, use a night moisturiser and another good moisturiser before applying in the morning. You can definitely build this foundation up for a full coverage, just make sure that you blend it in to the skin well otherwise it can appear flaky and patchy. This is another reason why a good moisturiser (or primer) before application is a good idea, so that you can blend easily! You can set this foundation with any powder, but I have been using the Dream Matte Powder from Maybelline and it's really good at setting the foundation, and you can stay shine free for hours! I just take the Dream Matte Powder with me during the day to touch up on any oily parts (such as the T-zone). I'm really loving this at the moment as I said, I've been experiencing oily skin (I think it's due to working in an air conditioned environment with no natural air). 


Maybelline Superstay 24H Foundation in 021 NUDE


I have used this foundation before, liked it, but I think I had the wrong shade, as I found it too pale for my skin (even though I am fair!) I like to have a warming colour, not orangey or obvious, just not porcelain white! I've gone back to this foundation as I remembered how it stayed put even through a day of work (approx 8 hours). The texture is quite thick, very creamy, and it blends well. I find that if I don't use very much though, it is hard to blend, so I make sure I have enough on the skin to blend out evenly (one to one and a half pumps should do the whole face). I really love this foundation, it's super thick, so it covers most of my bumps, blemishes and scars, but it's not at all oily so it doesn't clog my pores and make things worse! I find that if I use it with the dream matte powder and Collection 2000 concealer, this can give a really airbrushed look!


I've found this really helpful swatch of the 24h foundation on Google. It's from sasquatchswatch.blogspot.com and could really help you decide which colour you should go for! 




Max Factor Second Skin Foundation in 070 Natural


I've been looking for something similar to the Clinique Moisture Surge tinted moisturiser as it's getting hotter. A heavy foundation can clog the skin during the summer for me so I wanted something lighter. If you read my review of the Clinique Tinted Moisturiser then you will know that I found it to be okay, but as you might think from a tinted moisturiser, it didn't give me the coverage that I need. It's great if you use a really good concealer and lots of powder, but it's still on the sheer side for me.


I decided to try this Max Factor foundation as it looked promising in giving me the light foundation, with a good coverage. I've used it today 1/8/2011 and it stood my test of work. Surprisingly it didn't make my skin as oily as it has been recently, which was what I expected. The coverage is good, I put one layer on, and then applied some more to my problem areas. It gave quite a dewy finish, which is nice but I prefer a matte look for work (to stop the oil really...) but perhaps this dewy finish would be good for a summers day away from work! :) I used Rimmel Stay Matte concealer in 040 Soft beige, and this concealer is great after this foundation, as it's mattifying, and as the max factor foundation isn't too heavy, it's needed to cover those blemishes. I will keep trying this foundation for a week or two more, and let you know how I'm getting on :)


If there are any foundations you think I should try, for combination dry/oily skin, then please feel free to let me know by commenting below or tweeting me @xbeautybee 


Thanks! Lucy 













No comments:

Post a Comment