25 May 2012

Rimmel, Max Factor & Primark.... how do these lip tints compare?



I have a pale complexion, and over the past year or so I've been looking for a lip tint or 'stain' which will give me the desired colour that will LAST. I will usually wear these tints with some balm over the top, or as a base for lipstick, so that even when the lipstick eventually wears off, the lip stain should still be there to provide me with colour to perk up my lips :) Loads of brands have been coming out with these, and I've tried four of them. Here's a picture of three of them, these ones are in a 'felt tip' style and can be worn alone or with a lip balm or lipstick!


1. Max Factor 'Lipfinity Lasting Lip Tint' in shade 08

This one I had high hopes for, it was the first time trying a felt tip style one, and I had been drawn in by their advertising and didn't expect the product to be so poor! I don't know if it was just mine, but the colour is quite bad, a sort of dark brown colour with maybe a hint of red. Obviously I could have picked a different colour, but it seemed like it would be a good choice for the day time. The other thing I don't like is that the tip felt very dry, and it was often hard to get any colour to actually go on to my lips, again I don't know if this is just me, and that I had a 'dud' one.... my flat mate had one in a different shade and she seemed to like hers and didn't think it was dry at all, so who knows! I'm not going to buy this one again though because it's quite expensive and didn't work for me.
£7.99 at Boots & Superdrug. 


2. Rimmel Lasting Finish 1000 Kisses Transfer Proof Lip Tint + Balm


This product is definitely a step up from the Max Factor one!! The colour pay-off was much better on this product, and it didn't feel as drying. With a good colour base all set, there is also a balm on the end, with its own cap, so you can use it after the lip tint to prevent drying! This lip balm is AMAZING. I wish they did it in a balm on its own, it really is the best stick balm I've ever used. I usually stay away from this design as they can be drying and exaggerate the dryness, but this one glides over the lips and leaves it looking slightly glossy and 'kissable?' hehe. Really love this stuff! Overall for this product, the lip balm is better than the tint I feel. 
£5.99 approximately and can be found at Boots, Superdrug & Ebay etc :)


3. Primark 'Lip Stain Pen' there's no shade, but it's sort of a dark red/pink colour.


I bought this today, and I've tried it out and so far I really like it! The 'wetness' of the actual pen makes it so easy to apply the colour, and it's not too drying. I actually used my rimmel lip balm over the top and it's such a gorgeous deep colour, and with a balm it looks like a super pigmented lip gloss without the stickiness! (you could use any other balm over the top, for example I have Palmer's Cocoa Butter Dark Chocolate and Peppermint which would go really nicely as a glossy top coat).


edit**** completely forgot to mention, this lip stain is only £1.50! and comes in three shades! :)

4. Model's own lip stain.


This one comes in a container much like nail varnish.... and applies... much like nailvarnish! I find this quite tricky.. and although the colour is really nice, it's hard to be accurate and the bottle is a bit of a nightmare. It's prone to leaking, which is a major problem if you're wanting to carry it round in your make up bag or handbag. This one is definitely for the dressing table, don't chance taking it out with you ( or perhaps put it in a small plastic sealed bag?) Just a word of warning :) This one is also a cheek stain (much like Benefit Benetint) but I don't like using it on my cheeks as I find it hard to work with and hard to blend! ;)






I have also tried Benetint by Benefit and I don't actually see much difference (apart from maybe the smell..Benetint smells more floral) but I would definitely prefer to pay £5 for Models Own than extortionate prices for basically the same product! 

Generally, the rule with lip tints is to make sure that your lips are well prepared for the often drying product, and make sure that you have a good balm to seal it in place and give a glossy finish (unless you like the matte look!) I don't know how the Primark one will play out, but I hope it doesn't dry up too soon!

If you have any comments then just leave them below, and do tell me if you've tried any of the tints that are out there, likes and dislikes?

That's all for now :) thanks for reading! Lucy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment